Monday, October 19, 2009

Learning To Stay Afloat

In an effort to get my knee stronger and keep myself in relatively "good" shape I have taken up lap swimming. Oh my gosh this is hard. The first day, I was so kidding myself. I can't lap swim for beans. Apparently I am on a quest for zen-like patience. I have much to learn. So back to the beginning I go. I must learn to breath correctly, work some new muscles, and try not to sink.

I like swimming. The pool is close to the house and at 6 a.m. it is not busy at all. It will be good during the winter months while the weather outside is frightful. It has been fun to explore all these different forms of staying healthy and exercise. I am not going for anything competitive or outside the realm of a 5k. I just want to be able to keep up with the kids and set a good example. While I love things that keep me on my bum (sewing and knitting), it is important to keep those legs and arms moving even for just 30 minutes 3 days a week. We all have to start somewhere.

No comments: