Friday, March 4, 2011

Spring Sewing Is Here!

spring sewing
Simplicity Pattern 4589

I am so excited to finally start sewing for spring/summer. While it is still a white cold mess outside, inside thoughts are warm and dreamy with spring weather so close to coming.  I had some left over material that needed to be used.  Why not make a quick top that is great for layering (hence the sweater in March) and also on it own?  The brown was a silky type material.  I not sure exactly what it is, but it is very light and has a nice drape.  I am inspired this year by natuarl fibers like linen and light cottons.  For textures I am loving those silks (and "silk-like") fabrics. 

spring sewing

The only thing I changed on the pattern was to add the extra layer of material. This top needed a little interest and that pop of color keeps the brown from looking to much like fall.  The extra band of purple at the bottom added some length.  Nice for when you are 5'9" and patterns are cut for those on the shorter side. I also added slits at the bottom of the top for better movement around those hips.

I just finished up another Amy Butler skirt  . Her simple a-line skirt to be more exact.  It turned out super cute and I even got a chance to embroider. Pics will be coming, if it warms up a bit.  I am also anxiously awaiting the arrival of my first Japanese sewing pattern book.  I really want to work on sewing pintucks and this book has some lovely designs.  Perfect for summer and layering pieces. 

I would say that spring has sprung around here!

No comments: